Bring home a Kinder Surprise Egg and you could be fined $2500!

Bring these adorable Kinder surprise eggs over the border into the US and you risk being snagged by customs and running up a fine of up to $2,500 per illegal Kinder egg.  A dozen could theoreticaly cost you $30,000!

What could possibly be in these eggs, you may wonder, that would merit such a huge fine?

Blood diamonds?  Crystal Meth?

Nope, Kinder Surprise eggs are considered contraband for US customs purposes because of this:

This was the toy surprise inside my Kinder Surprise Egg.

No matter that the toy itself is first encapsulated in a rubbery plastic shell, making it extraordinarily difficult to eat by accident, rules are rules.  But for my non-US readers– those that live in countries where children don’t eat plastic toys– is the Kinder Egg even a worthwhile souvenir?

Kinder Surprise Egg– the Reveal

Kinder Eggs are made by an Italian company, but are available all over Europe (and Canada too).  So as not to run afoul of US Customs laws, I bought and opened my Kinder Egg at the airport in Gatwick.  I am providing a photo tour of the reveal, below:

Is the Kinder Surprise Egg worth the hooplah?

Admittedly, what intrigued me the most about the Kinder Egg was the forbidden factor.  And yes, it was a slight thrill to open the egg, anticipating the prize inside. The actual flavor of the chocolate egg was unmemorable.

As for the toy itself?  Although there are collectors who buy and trade Kinder toys, I personally wasn’t that impressed with my mini car surprise.  After “playing” with it for a few seconds, I put it away, lost it, and haven’t seen it since.

Pinterest-Friendly Image

Have you ever bought a Kinder Surprise Egg?  Are there any candy souvenirs that are illegal in your country?  Share in the comments below!

Want to read more about illegal eggs? Check out these banned Mexican Confetti eggs (cascarones), a popular Mexican Easter tradition

Or read about what foods you can (and can’t) bring back from the supermarket!

, , ,

91 Responses to Bring home a Kinder Surprise Egg and you could be fined $2500!

1. Tripping Blonde 01/22/2014 at 9:15 am #

The real Kinder Surprise for Americans is the $2500 fine upon returning home after your vacation when US Customs finds it in your bag. I definitely think they are cute souvenirs for children, but I certainly don’t want a supersize Kinder surprise from US Customs, so I’ll just continue to buy stuffed animal souvenirs for my little friends. BTW, I love your surprise – a red convertible!

• Kristin Francis 01/22/2014 at 9:37 am #

haha nice pun! They sell them at every airport too and there’s no indication anywhere that you can’t bring them back to the US, it’s one of those things you just need to know about.

• trizze 04/05/2014 at 9:35 pm #

lol – why would there be any indication that you can’t bring them back to the states? I don’t find many indications anywhere of what I can’t bring into my country either…

• Kristin Francis 04/05/2014 at 10:19 pm #

Thanks for commenting! Yes you’re totally right– there shouldn’t be any indication elsewhere about their banned status in the US. US Customs should do a better job of publicizing it– it always comes as a big surprise to people when they find this out! Stay tuned I’m going to be doing a comprehensive posts on items that are banned in other countries– not just the US. What country are you from?

• Anonymous 07/10/2014 at 12:19 am #

thats a lot of money /:

• Anonymous 06/02/2015 at 1:45 am #

I can’t believe this, I brought a box from Mexico into the US and had no problems.

2. alikzeller 01/22/2014 at 12:13 pm #

We brought a few back with us from Italy and had no problems at all! Maybe because we only had a few and they went undetected…

Growing up I had a friend whose father would bring loads of them back from overseas trips, every time I think back to those eggs I laugh realizing how impossible they would be to exist in the US.

• Kristin Francis 01/22/2014 at 4:20 pm #

Thanks so much for your comments!
      Unless you get your bags rifled through, I’m not sure how they would find them (or if they are actively looking for them– I’m sure there are more important things to attend to!) But I don’t mess with US customs! That’s hilarious that he brought so many eggs through– I’m sure he had no idea either, who would ever think of it?

• TanZL 05/17/2014 at 1:12 am #

I have bought them. I have collected all the cars except for the red one you have above. Still hoping that I would be able to get it.

• Kristin Francis 05/18/2014 at 8:17 am #

If I knew where that little car disappeared to, I would send it to you so you could complete your collection!

3. sueslaght 01/22/2014 at 7:40 pm #

Kristin you really don’t have these in the US? They are such standard fare in Canada. Almost a universal tradition for stocking suffers at Christmas.

• Kristin Francis 01/23/2014 at 2:56 pm #

No, they would have been fun to pull out of a stocking for sure! I didn’t even know what it was until recently.

• Shawn McCarthy 05/31/2014 at 6:11 am #

Where could I buy them around Niagara Falls, Ontario?

• Kristin Francis 05/31/2014 at 11:49 am #

They are legal in Canada– try a well-stocked drugstore or candy aisle of the grocery store?

• haloheidi 09/01/2014 at 3:30 am #

We got them at Walmart in Niagara Falls, Ontario!

• Kristin Francis 09/04/2014 at 8:54 am #

Thanks for the tip!

4. fingknitcoolgal 01/23/2014 at 6:29 am #

OMG! Are they serious?! It sounds like a joke to me. I shall tell anyone who may travel to US with toys and sweets. $2500! Unbelievable…

• Kristin Francis 01/23/2014 at 2:58 pm #

Silly huh? Hopefully that’s a scare tactic and not regularly enforced, but better safe than sorry– it’s the combo of the toy inside the sweet that makes it potentially “hazardous”.

5. Rolling Harbour 01/23/2014 at 4:13 pm #

“Elf ‘n’ Safety gone mad”, as we say in the UK. I hope the fines for bubblegum (potential choking hazard), McDonalds Fries (sharp and pointy – possible mouth injury) and Barbie Dolls (synthetic hair – massive fire hazard if held over naked flame) are as high… RH

• Kristin Francis 01/23/2014 at 5:23 pm #

haha love it! Yep they restrict little chocolate eggs, but no worries because they allow in tons of chemicals banned in the Europe! Always looking out for us. : )

6. Raphael Alexander Zoren 02/02/2014 at 11:48 am #

I didn’t know about that! Interesting facts about customs in the US! 😮

• Kristin Francis 02/02/2014 at 12:22 pm #

Thanks for stopping by! It’s hard to keep up with all the customs rules, especially unusual ones like this.

7. Chasing the Donkey 02/07/2014 at 7:20 pm #

Hmm… shall I post you a few and see if they get through. YOu can sell them on the black market..

• Kristin Francis 02/08/2014 at 9:25 am #

Haha!! God only knows what kind of crazy fines are waiting if you use US federal mail to smuggle them! No one here has really heard of them so demand would not be high!

8. Travelling King Blog 02/08/2014 at 7:31 am #

That is ridiculous! Hilarious but ridiculous!!
    Cant imagine for being fined for such a thing!

• Kristin Francis 02/08/2014 at 9:23 am #

I suspect they’re looking for importers but who knows? I saw a recent update on the US customs site warning about them, so maybe they’re trying to publicize it more.I can’t even imagine an unwitting tourist dropping a dozen in their bag!

9. Wow – I had no idea they were illegal! I brought some home last year after a trip to Paris in March. They were perfect for Easter — my girls LOVED opening them up and getting to the toy. Who’da thunk I was such a rebel-law-breaker?! BTW – crazy as it might be, my girls survived unscathed without any choking incidents! haha!

• Kristin Francis 02/17/2014 at 11:20 am #

Thanks for sharing Connie! Shocker, I thought only European children were smart enough not to swallow the little toy– you must have some rare American geniuses there! It seems that if they want to make these illegal they should publicize it more, like a big no Kinder Eggs in the customs area! I only randomly came across this myself.

10. Escape Hunter 05/17/2014 at 5:52 am #

It’s stupid to ban the Kinder eggs, it’s also hilarious!
    Anyone could swallow anything.
    Shouldn’t anything small be banned? Like: anything that “could be”, “may be”, “might be” swallowed?
    Terribly high fines – gosh, did I read 2,500 $ per egg?

• Kristin Francis 05/18/2014 at 8:16 am #

I agree this is the silliest rule ever!

11. Anonymous 06/25/2014 at 10:47 pm #

They sell Kinder Eggs at International stores in St. Louis MO and Chicago IL. Wow this is very wired and good to know thanks for the post

• Kristin Francis 06/26/2014 at 8:09 am #

I think a few places do it on the sly…but they are definitely still illegal!

12. Lori 07/01/2014 at 6:14 pm #

My brother sent a box of about 100 Kinder Eggs to my kids about 12 years ago. I had no idea they were illegal. I don’t know how they got through, but there was no problem. The kids enjoyed them for quite a while and all 3 survived. One of them is currently in Germany, and I asked him to bring some home for his 5 year old brother. That’s when we came across this information about the fines. Bizarre!

• Kristin Francis 07/01/2014 at 10:26 pm #

100 illegal Kinder eggs!! Glad to hear your kids made it through! : ) Thanks for sharing!

• Gary B. 05/14/2015 at 8:27 am #

hey, I’ve been reading through these comments, and I actually have something to add. The eggs weren’t illegal until recently, my new German teacher actually used to buy them a while ago, and she isn’t ancient so this is not an old rule

13. Felicia 07/03/2014 at 12:51 pm #

Bummer! ! My daughter is now touring London and will leave for Paris tomorrow. She bought one yesterday. Guess she will have to eat it before she comes home. :/

• Kristin Francis 07/03/2014 at 5:22 pm #

Probably a good idea in this heat wave the chocolate won’t do well! But she can bring the toy back separately!

14. Angela 07/06/2014 at 12:42 pm #

They aren’t actually illegal, they are banned. You can bring some back for “personal use” but you are not allowed to sell them or distribute them. I had a run in with customs over about 50 eggs a few years ago and they ended up letting me keep them since I was trying to finish my shrek collector set of toys and I had no intentions of reselling them. It probably helped that I knew the actual history of why kinder eggs were banned in the US. etc.

• Kristin Francis 07/07/2014 at 9:36 am #

Hi Angela, thanks for commenting! That’s great that you were able to get (50!) eggs in! In my reading of the guidelines, I don’t see anything allowing kinder eggs for personal use– this seems to suggest even for personal use they’ll be seized: http://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/local-media-release/2012-03-23-040000/cross-border-travelers-are-reminded-kinder-egg-ban. This from the CBP site specifically addresses personal use: “The trend in personal use Kinder Egg seizures in Vermont is on the rise and this chocolate egg isn’t just prevalent during the holidays anymore,” said Assistant Area Port Director James McMillan. “In fact, CBP officers in St. Albans have seized Kinder Eggs in 38 separate incidents in 2011 alone from cross-border travelers and our officers have been seeing more and more of these particular seizures throughout the year.”
      Personally, I wouldn’t risk it just to bring home an egg. I hope to interview a customs official for a future article so I’ll ask again to see if there are any exceptions.

15. Elyz 07/10/2014 at 12:43 pm #

Please do Kristin. I am currently in Europe on a business trip and i was completely shocked to learn that those kinder eggs are banned in the states. I was planning to bring a few of them for my daughters before learning about the banned item.its too bad though. Its so tempting and they are everywhere here. However,i came accross another type of kinder eggs,the kinder joy.Apparently its a half chocolate and half toy and entirely seperate..not like thr kinder surprise where the toy is inside the chocolate egg. I wonder..

16. AMIRAH 07/25/2014 at 3:57 am #

OMG!!! 2500 I want buy but,i from malaysia . At theMalaysia, it has kinder joy

17. Anonymous 07/26/2014 at 11:14 am #

They actually lifted the ban in 2013. It is now legal bring them into the US

• Kristin Francis 07/26/2014 at 11:25 am #

This is incorrect, the FDA reg still stands. If you found this via google, it’s a Gawker story where an American came up with product called a choco egg– but this has nothing to do with Kinder Eggs.

18. Lynsey Betz 08/02/2014 at 3:58 am #

My mum sends these from Scotland to the us all the time for my 3 year old.

19. Solita 09/09/2014 at 10:21 pm #

?!? That makes no sense
    I have ate them since i was 4 years old and im still here. Real things that has to be banned and they just worry about some kinder eggs

• Kristin Francis 09/17/2014 at 7:52 pm #

I totally agree!!

20. Kirk, James T. 09/09/2014 at 10:48 pm #

I just brought back a dozen over labour day holiday. My son loves them!

• Kristin Francis 09/17/2014 at 7:52 pm #

Oh how fun! I love the idea of a dozen illegal Kinder eggs but that would incur quite a bit of US Customs fees!

21. Anonymous 09/21/2014 at 3:26 pm #

I just bought my daughter a kinder egg this morning in California at a mini mart. Guess they haven’t been caught yet.

• Aj 01/01/2015 at 8:58 pm #

Where in California? My son was asking for one.

• Anonymous 01/19/2015 at 1:54 am #

Go to ebay

• Kristin Francis 01/20/2015 at 11:17 pm #

Even if you can find someone willing to ship kinder eggs from ebay, it’s still illegal.

22. Anonymous 10/28/2014 at 10:23 am #

if I don’t bring them back to the US in complete form, meaning only the toy is in my luggage (chocolate is gone), is that still banned?

• Anonymous 11/15/2014 at 5:03 pm #

I was thinking the same question! The capsule is no longer “embedded” so my thoughts are it would be ok, right?

• Kristin Francis 11/16/2014 at 11:32 am #

I don’t see why not– as long as there is no food associated with it, I would think the FDA (food and drug administration) would no longer be interested!

23. Laura Schneider 10/29/2014 at 12:28 am #

I think I’m more stuck on the principle of “not being allowed” to bring back the eggs for my girls who so desperately want to try them. They got hooked on those darn youtube videos. My boyfriend plays pro ball and is in France so the temptation will be there…. But you are right, I just don’t feel it’s worth the risk. So frustrating. Choco Treasure does not interest me at all. I’m one of those if I can’t get the RealDeal I won’t get anything at all. Hahaha. Love your thread/blog! (I will eat one next month while overseas I swear)

24. Linda 11/07/2014 at 5:52 pm #

This is weird, in my home country all kids love Kinder Surprises. All my childhood it was the best sweets, we all had collections of toys from the eggs. Basically, no sweet is allowed for small kids at all. This is all about health. But when child is 4+ years old and is already allowed to eat sweets sometimes, there is no problem. All my country, probably all modern Europeans had plenty of Kinder eggs in life, and we are totally fine :) When in my home country we go to visit friends/relatives who have kids, we always buy Kinder for them. There’s not much of chocolate (it is not too bad for health), and they all enjoy toys. It is always the best option, much more fun then any chocolate itself.

25. Sue 11/14/2014 at 8:02 pm #

Is it just the Kinder Surpise eggs that are banned? I found some kinder surprise knock offs and wondered if I can send them to relatives in the US. Where can I find information on the ban? TIA.

• Kristin Francis 11/15/2014 at 9:23 am #

Hi Sue, it’s not about the brand it’s because the toy is hidden inside food– that’s what violates the FDA regulation. So any knockoffs that are designed the same way would still violate it. Annoying I know!

26. karolina 12/04/2014 at 10:25 pm #

You can buy them at polish stores here in NJ

• Kristin Francis 12/05/2014 at 8:56 am #

Karolina– there are Polish stores in NJ? Any great ones close to NYC?

27. Heidi 12/08/2014 at 3:10 pm #

I just came back from Germany and US customs confiscated my kinder eggs. Good thing they didn’t fine me, also!

• Kristin Francis 12/11/2014 at 10:33 pm #

Hi Heidi,
      Thanks so much for posting your comment! I figured those fines were rarely enforced, but really who wants to risk it. How did they find your eggs– did you declare them?

28. Nathan Revello 12/08/2014 at 11:18 pm #

Hi, I wanted to buy kinder eggs for my little cousin back in the states since I’m overseas at the moment, would they be caught immediately if I tried to send them?

• Kristin Francis 12/11/2014 at 10:32 pm #

Hi Nathan,

There’s no telling whether you will be caught or not– but see Heidi’s comment here!

29. Laura 12/12/2014 at 12:23 am #

I’m back from France! And as I promised myself, I binged on Kinder eggs. Haha, I was a kid in a candy store. I ended up buying a pack of six to take home. I broke the eggs and put the chocolate in a container and then put the capsulated toys separate to not “violate” the silly law. I had no problems of course with customs doing it this way since the capsule was no longer completely embedded. I was sad I had to break them open because I had fun opening up the chocolate but honestly, my kids didn’t give a flying pig about it. They were so excited to open the capsules, they haven’t even touched the chocolate pieces, haha. Oh well, more for me! I love the toys. I’m a complete sucker for them! Kristin, I did think about you though because I got a car to and that’s the only toy I wasn’t really impressed with. But everything else was tooooo cute. My fav was a little purple cat whose tail you could pull out into a tape measure. It was too funny.

• Kristin Francis 12/12/2014 at 4:37 pm #

Awesome thanks for sharing! Ok so maybe it was the particular Kinder Egg prize– next time I’m abroad I’m going to get a dozen and crack them open to check out the collection!

30. Cindy Lemay 01/02/2015 at 10:21 pm #

Customs won’t let you bring Kinder eggs into the USA because of what is inside, meaning the toy, but they should be more concerned of what the chocolate is made of. As for those
    eggs taken away be customs, they’re not stupid, I bet they bring them home.

• Kristin Francis 01/05/2015 at 9:01 am #

Haha I wonder if the children of customs officials have a huge stockpile of kinder toys!

31. Anonymous 02/13/2015 at 5:19 pm #

I really wanted to buy some here near CT but idk if I can get them cause at my brothers job they have the kinder chocolate bars but idk about the kinder chocolate eggs

32. Heidi 02/15/2015 at 7:22 am #

Living near the Canadien border, we always shopped there with our children.. Kinder eggs was one of the favorites of all the kiddos.. The surprise!! Well when my daughter left for college in Miami florida, I decided to buy her a case of kinder eggs as a reminder.. Woo hoo! Crossing back into the states we were questioned about what we had purchased.. I knew the agent, and giggled when I said Kinder Eggs! He replied with pull over, we need to search your vehicle..out came the kinder eggs, and instructed to proceed inside.. Well none of the agents inside had seen these before, and we’re delighted with the surprise as well inside the magical eggs.. Through Tons of paperwork, me explaining that my daughter never choked on them at 5 years of age, she certainly wouldn’t choke at 18 years of age, my case of kinder eggs were confiscated..( left with one toy as a souvenir) great idea gone wrong..I miss those wonderful little surprises..

33. Stacy 02/23/2015 at 2:59 pm #

We just had our Kinder eggs confiscated by customs agents at he Minneapolis-St. Paul airport yesterday. We were returning on a flight from Cancun, Mexico. My 13-year-old daughter LOVES those eggs! She will usually buy and consume a few during our stay in Mexico, and the past 3 or 4 years has bought two boxes (4 eggs per box) to bring home and ration out the week following our return home. I knew they were banned from sale in the U.S., but didn’t realize they would actually be confiscated at customs. Good grief. I think the reason we were stopped is because we were carrying our clear plastic duty-free bags in open view. Had they been tucked inside our suitcases, I don’t think we would have had an issue. We were pulled aside once they discovere there were Kinder eggs in our bag. During questioning, I had asked if I could open the eggs and keep the chocolate, since my daughter claims it’s more about the chocolate for her at this age and I happened to have a supply of clean ziploc bags. All the agent said was “Unfortunately they are banned in the U.S.” Never really answered my question about breaking them open and keeping the chocolate. The other agent commented on how “delicious” the chocolate is. I’m sure they were taken home to their kids or consumed in the breakroom after we left! They were taken from us and placed in an “evidence” type bag. In addition they took copies of my husband’s passport and drivers license, and also took down a phone number he could be reached at in the event they have any further questions. So ridiculous!!!

• Kristin Francis 02/23/2015 at 3:06 pm #

Stacy thanks so much for sharing your story! I am laughing so hard about the customs agent commenting about the delicious chocolate! I am adding that to the post when I get a chance! Sorry you had to be put through that ordeal– the “evidence” bag just kills me lol.

• majormanafemale 05/15/2015 at 9:57 am #

They used to be allowed for personal use into USA sometime in I think the 90’s that was taken away. I am figuring 90’s based on when I no longer got Kinder eggs from grandparents. My dad thought a wonderball with it’s garbage chocolate would do. No they didn’t but I appreciate daddy trying when I mentioned I wanted kinder egg. I said I sure miss kinder eggs next day sis an I each had a wonder ball. I jist said thanks.

34. Rick. 02/26/2015 at 8:18 pm #

There’s a store here in Los Angeles that sells them and I don’t know how. I haven’t asked. And I’m not giving the store’s identity away. Don’t wanna lose my hook-up! :)

• Kristin Francis 02/27/2015 at 9:21 am #

I’ve heard rumors of shops that keep them tucked away and are available on request…I definitely won’t publish any names of those who defy the ban!

• Rick. 02/27/2015 at 9:03 pm #

What’s funny is they’re not hidden at all at this shop. They’re front and center next to the register. Here’s hoping nobody catches on. The chocolate is so good.

• Kristin Larson 03/09/2015 at 9:38 pm #

I am going to have to start searching la when I am up there. My daughter wants some so bad she is driving me nuts! Haha those darn YouTube videos make it even worse! Glad to know they are around, hopefully I will come across them….someday! :)

• Kristin Francis 03/11/2015 at 2:01 pm #

haha great idea I should make a you tube video of the unveiling!

35. Anonymous 03/11/2015 at 10:25 pm #

Found these today at 2 stores in NYC

• Kristin Francis 03/12/2015 at 2:58 pm #

can you email me where? I want to pick some up! I promise I won’t publish the location, don’t want to out anyone. Souvenirfinder@gmail.com

Thanks!!

36. Anonymous 03/14/2015 at 10:27 am #

I bought 3 in Mexico a year ago…no one mentioned them.

• Kristin Francis 03/14/2015 at 10:10 pm #

I’m sure it a hit or miss thing with customs, thanks for sharing your experience.

37. Anonymous 03/14/2015 at 3:54 pm #

I just returned from India not knowing kinder Joy as they are called there were illegal. I had 5 in my carry on bag and about 26 in my checked bag. Bought them back for my sons 1st grade class. Had no issues anywhere.

• Kristin Francis 03/14/2015 at 10:08 pm #

If you read through some of the comments here you’ll see that you were very lucky!
      What the entire class didn’t choke on them? ; )
      Silly regulation! Glad you got to enjoy them.

38. Anonymous 03/30/2015 at 1:22 am #

I just came from Cabo San Lucas last week and bought 2 boxes (4 eggs in each box) from the Duty Free at SJD airport. They put in the clear duty free bag w/my goodies and I walked through customs at SFO with no search. They did ask if was bringing any food items and I did declare candy: Mentos and chocolate. They did not ask any further questions and let me pass by. Are eggs from Duty Free at airports okay and that’s why they let me pass?

• Kristin Francis 03/30/2015 at 2:30 pm #

The rules are the same no matter where you get them from– I think many people get confused and think if it’s in Duty Free it’s ok to bring back but that’s not necessarily the case at all. I suspect the particular agent may not have noticed your eggs or hadn’t been familiar with the rule. You didn’t do anything wrong if you declared the properly and didn’t know they weren’t allowed. At worst, they would have seized them but I don’t see how declaring something would ever subject you to a fine. Enjoy the eggs! : )

39. majormanafemale 04/03/2015 at 9:37 am #

They only recently been totally illegal from entering USA and it sucks. However prior they where technically banned. I know cause grandparents use to bring me back some. I found out about all thus by wanting one. Fine whatever if they want to bann the minis. Not thrilled if they want to completely bann the normal size ones but I can live with this but why aren’t we allowed the large and jumbo if a kid can swallow either of those sweet potato pie get them a contract for said stunt. And wonder balls from 90’s tweens decided to shove whole ball in mouth and pull sticker from mouth which is why I can accept not allowing ref size kinder eggs in USA and one 14 yr old gal shoved a wonder ball in her hoo ha. I chose not to question it when saw it on news and didn’t surprise me that after that wonder balls began to disappear.

40. skyline 04/05/2015 at 10:51 pm #

Hi Kristin, thanks for the post. FYI, here is the website from US Customs regarding Kinder eggs:

It would be helpful to update this post with this info, take care!

41. Anonymous 04/07/2015 at 11:57 am #

It illegal to just buy the toy capsules? I can make my own chocolate egg mold.

42. anonymous 06/07/2015 at 3:05 pm #

I have been asked by a friend to bring some Kinderjoy Eggs from South africa and now i’m not sure if i can i opened one to see they in a plastic type eggs shape and the one side has the chocolate and the one side has the toy but they are sealed separately and then stuck together would this be accepted?