Angelina Paris: the Best Hot Chocolate in Paris to Take Home

Sharing is caring!

It took me several visits to Paris before I finally visited the famous Angelina Tea house on Rue Rivoli. I’d heard of Angelina of course, it’s one of the most famous patisseries and cafes in Paris, well known for having the best hot chocolate in Paris. But even when I stayed quite literally next door to Angelina at the Westin Vendome, I somehow never made it through the doors. It might have been because so many people told me I “must” go to Angelina that I wondered if it was overhyped. Or it could have been the never ending line that always snaked out front.

Angelina tea room paris cafe best hot chocolate interior

The gorgeous Angelina tea room in Paris.

On my last visit to Paris, it was a particularly frigid and blustery day. The skies were gray-blue and threatened to open at any moment. We were headed to Tuileries gardens but realized the possibility of getting caught in a cold wet downpour was high. Rue Rivoli, the street facing the Tuileries, is flooded with dirt cheap souvenir stores. It seemed the perfect spot to pick up a souvenir umbrella, even if it only lasted for a single use (price: $5). After sorting out the umbrella, we walked straight past Angelina. With the wind whipping me to near tears the thought a toasty warm hot chocolate overcame me.

A thought struck me– does Angelina have takeout?

I popped into Angelina’s grand salon to see for myself. I was taken by the by the stunning belle epoque interior. Founded in 1903, Angelina has been frequented by the likes of Coco Chanel, Proust and some of the biggest names in fashion. To the right of the salon was a separate takeout area (called a “delicatessen” though nothing like a delicatessen as we know it). And yes, they did offer their famous hot chocolate for take out.

The Hot Chocolate at Angelina Paris (le chocolat chaud)

Angelina is famous for their hot chocolate (le chocolat chaud en francais), and is often cited as the best hot chocolate in Paris. French hot chocolate is nothing like what Americans think of as hot chocolate. While American hot chocolate is thin and sweet, punctuated by marshmallows, French hot chocolate is thick and rich and marshmallow free.

I’d tried French hot chocolate before back in New York at a Manhattan outpost of La Maison du Chocolat. It was ok, but almost too rich and bitter for me– not something I would go out of my way for. So I sort of assumed I’d have a similar reaction to Angelina’s hot chocolate.

I was wrong. Whether it was the blustery day that made the warm oozing chocolate taste extra delicious or simply that Angelina actually lives up to the hype, I absolutely loved Angelina’s hot chocolate.

Angelina tea room paris hot chocolate interior takeout

Enjoying my takeout hot chocolate momentarily in the gorgeous Angelina salon.

Angelina hot chocolate paris take out cup

I later consulted Angelina’s website and learned that their hot chocolate is actually “African” hot chocolate– made from a proprietary mix of cocoas from Niger, Ghana and Côte d’Ivoire.

Angelina hot chocolate photo drinking paris

Angelina’s hot chocolate was so delicious that I failed in my blogger duty to properly photograph it before guzzling it down. Hence, the spattery half portion here.

The Angelina Mont Blanc Dessert

While the hot chocolate is the go to pick at Angelina, I could not ignore the decadent display of colorful pastries. I hadn’t planned to get any, but figured I’d ask if they had a specialty pastry they were known for.

Mais oui! The enthusiastic shop attendant brought out this tray of their signature pastry, the Mont Blanc. The Mont Blanc has been served at Angelina since its opening– it’s a mashup of meringue, chestnut paste and whipped cream all put together in a cupcake-like package. While not a great souvenir (the cream makes it highly perishable), the Mont Blanc did survive the trip back to my hotel.

Mont blanc pastry angelina paris best dessert chestnut

You can’t miss the Mont Blanc with its spaghetti-like topping.

mont blanc angelina

The Mont Blanc was every bit as delicious as it looks.

Angelina Paris Take Home Souvenirs: Hot Chocolate and More

The delicatessen at Angelina was stocked with souvenirs ready to go. The signature Angelina hot chocolate was available in ready to drink bottles or a powdered cocoa mix.

Beyond hot chocolate, the other tempting souvenirs from Angelina Paris that caught my eye were the tea sachets and chestnut creme.

If you don’t make it to Rue Rivoli, the airport (at least CDG) had plenty of Angelina products in duty free (not a free standing shop, but in the large duty free stores).

Have you visited Angelina Paris? Tell us about your visit in the comments below!

Sharing is caring!

17 Responses to Angelina Paris: the Best Hot Chocolate in Paris to Take Home

1. Anonymous 01/23/2018 at 10:55 pm #

My husband and I visited Paris in Oct. We had lunch at Angelina’s. It was delicious! I tried to find the bottled version in the U.S. for my husband for Christmas. I found it at Neiman Marcus online but it was sold out. The pastries were very good also.

• Kristin Francis 01/26/2018 at 1:02 pm #

Oh that’s great to know! I would have loved to sit for lunch but couldn’t deal with waiting.

2. laceybra 06/05/2018 at 9:00 am #

I have an Angelina china set I got there in 1990. There is a large teapot, small pot(the one they pour hot chocolate from-you see in most photos), two large cups and saucers. These are the ones trimmed in green. Is this set with the large teapot still being sol in Angelina?

3. Alma Nopuente 09/07/2018 at 7:11 am #

Hi there, how much is the hot chocolate in angelina and the pastries per piece? Cant find it on the site.

• Kristin Francis 10/25/2018 at 11:32 pm #

Hi Alma! I really don’t recall and I try not to put specific prices on my posts because they change so often.

• Anonymous 11/26/2018 at 6:18 pm #

About $10 US dollars for a cup. Just had it last week and wish I would have brought some back.

• Kristin Francis 04/15/2021 at 9:17 pm #

So good!

4. John Harrison 09/24/2018 at 9:24 am #

Six of us visited Angelina’s during our Christmas break in 2017. I made sure that chocolat chaud, hot chocolate was on our ‘must-do’ list for Paris. It was every bit as delicious as the internet-hype made it out to be. The line wasn’t too awfully bad, and the elegant experience more than made up for that! If ever I find myself back in the ‘City of Lights’ I will return to Angelina’s!

• Kristin Francis 10/25/2018 at 11:26 pm #

Hi John! Yay, it’s always great when the hype is well deserved. I’m dreaming about that hot chocolate now!

5. Beckie Manning 12/30/2018 at 10:38 am #

A little too dark for my taste, and very much so for my husband’s. We had a comical experience when we went to Angelina’s in September of ‘17. We just wanted a croissant with our hot chocolate, and we had a waiter very much like the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld. “No,” he said rather forcefully, almost shouting—“done!” He went through pointing and shouting at everything they were out of on the menu. “Done, finished!” About our only choice was the Mont Blanc, which I think is much too sweet to have with the hot chocolate. Probably by itself or with a glass of water or tea, it would be good. We are not picky people and rarely complain about any dining experience. (We didn’t dare complain to this guy!) I felt like it was an important thing to experience while in Paris, though. The atmosphere is lovely. We still laugh about it!

• Kristin Francis 04/15/2021 at 9:14 pm #

Hi Beckie, thanks for sharing your experience!

6. Mary B R 11/02/2020 at 2:02 pm #

Chocolat chaud was about 8.5€ and worth every centime! I stop every chance I get, usually last stop on my landmarks tour with visitors. It never disappoints.

• Kristin Francis 04/15/2021 at 9:06 pm #

So heavenly! They just opened one here in NYC and tbh it was just as delicious here as Paris.

7. Karen Hiebert 06/07/2021 at 3:27 pm #

I had hot chocolate and a Mount Blanc there in March 2004. It was not only incredible but unforgettable. It was the thickest creaminess hot chocolate I’ve ever had. It was a fabulous place to go.

• Kristin Francis 07/03/2022 at 1:36 pm #

Truly unforgettable! Thanks for sharing!

8. Heather 06/27/2021 at 9:27 pm #

We went during our 2020 trip (the one at the mall). Absolutely divine! We had the pistachio montblanc and we must have put on 5lbs that day! Heading back for Christmas this year with our boys. Can. Not. Wait!

• Kristin Francis 07/03/2022 at 1:25 pm #

ooh pistachio! There is one in nyc now so I may have to hunt that down!