Insadong, Seoul– Shopping for Handmade Crafts, a Photo Gallery

Traditional Korean Souvenirs from Insadong

Seoul is filled with shopping— it seems like there are high-end mega malls around every corner. Enormous wholesale markets like Dongdaemun and Namdaemun sell everything from designer fashion, to knock-off bags to live chickens. The city streets buzz with brightly-lit shops and sidewalk markets.

Side Street Store / CC BY-SA 2.0

While any of these shopping areas in Seoul can be a great source of Korean souvenirs, the best place to find the widest selection of traditional Korean handmade crafts is Insadong. Insadong is a traditional neighborhood in central Seoul– wide pedestrian avenues are lined with small shops, tea houses and street vendors. Wander down the side alleys to discover hidden shops (and better prices).

Even if you’re only window shopping, Insadong is fun way to spend an afternoon in busy Seoul. You’ll find Korean souvenirs like traditional crafts, tea, pottery, calligraphy items and art supplies and antiques.

Want to get an idea of what Korean souvenir treasures wait for you in Insadong? We’ve curated a photo gallery of some of the best shopping in Insadong–

Have you shopped in Insadong before?  Tell us about your favorite treasures in the comments below!

7 Responses to Insadong, Seoul– Shopping for Handmade Crafts, a Photo Gallery

1. Sue Slaght 09/08/2014 at 6:17 pm #

Great photo gallery Kristin. I haven’t been but looks like amazing souvenirs to being home.

• Kristin Francis 09/17/2014 at 7:52 pm #

Thanks Sue! I would love to go back and spend more time there.

2. Chanel | Cultural Xplorer 09/10/2014 at 12:22 am #

I have shopped in Insadong on a number of occasions. I really like going there to buy little trinkets or gifts for friends 😀

• Kristin Francis 09/17/2014 at 7:51 pm #

I so wish I’d had more time there! My friend was going back a second time and I chose to sleep in! Totally regret it!

3. Kim 03/03/2017 at 12:28 pm #

I’d suggest buying Dragon Beard candy. They’re all over Seoul however they are great as gifts and entertaining watching them make the candy for you.

4. Katie McGrain 03/26/2017 at 5:13 am #

My favorite thing to buy in Insadong for friends and family back home with kids is from a little boutique on the main drag of the neighborhood. The woman specially makes t-shirts, onesies, and bags with the persons name in hangul (Korean language). It’s a really cute gift for a kid – all my friends kids at home have a t-shirt with their name in Korean!

• Kristin Francis 04/04/2017 at 5:55 pm #