Stylish Men’s shopping in Vienna, Austria: Bespoke tradition and Alpine hats

As the mercury dips and the US experiences a polar vortex, how do you dress warmly without looking like you’re about to hit the ski slopes?

For some cold weather style inspiration, look to a city that is no stranger to bitter winters– Vienna, Austria.  While other European cities have slowly replaced all their local craftsmen with high street retailers, Vienna has managed to forsake passing fads and hold onto its bespoke men’s stores.

This commitment to tradition is evident on the streets of Vienna– where even a casually dressed man will look just a little more pulled together than some of his European counterparts.

One of the things I loved about Viennese men was how they wore their hats:

alpine hat vienna

Men of all ages wear Tyrolean hats like this.

viennese men wearing apline hat distracted walking

The hat wearing Viennese men were better mannered too– I rarely saw anyone texting on the street. The worst “offender” I found was this guy who was reading as he was walking.

tyrol hat alpine hate vienna

DSC06040

Vienna carraige driver horse

DSC06263

Viennese men are fortunate that they have so many great men’s stores to choose from, some with a long history of bespoke tradition:

DSC06289

R. Horn, fine leather bags and accessories.

rudolf scheer men's shopping vienna

Rudolf Scheer, celebrated bespoke shoemaker opened in 1816.

Loden plankl

Loden Plankl, a great source of traditional Austrian clothing and those ubiquitous alpine hats.

DSC05058

Knize, a one time outfitter of the archdukes in the Hapsburg dynasty.

DSC06273

Knize’s sartorial version of a puffer coat.

DSC06271DSC06272

DSC05939With so many excellent men’s shops to choose from, it’s no wonder that the average guy in the street looks like he could have walked straight off the set of The Third Man.

Have you found great men’s shops in Vienna?  Share your favorites in the comments below.

Pin it!

Mens shopping Vienna R Horn Bespoke custom best

Vienna Souvenir Shopping Details:
R. Horn, Stephansplatz 3, 1010 Vienna, Austria
Knize, Graben 13, 1010 Vienna, Austria
Loden Plankl, Michaelerplatz 6, 1010 Vienna, Austria
R.Scheer, Bräunerstraße 4, 1010 Vienna, Austria

14 Responses to Stylish Men’s shopping in Vienna, Austria: Bespoke tradition and Alpine hats

1. Tripping Blonde 01/07/2014 at 4:04 pm #

I love the way the men dress in Vienna. They certainly take pride in looking presentable regardless of the temperature outside.

• Kristin Francis 01/07/2014 at 4:50 pm #

Thanks for stopping by! I totally agree of course– so well put together.

2. sueslaght 01/07/2014 at 4:43 pm #

I love the way the young man on the stagecoach is looking at you Kristin. Indeed looking very dapper.

• Kristin Francis 01/07/2014 at 5:05 pm #

Thanks Sue– that was one of my favorite photos from Vienna– I love street photography but I hate it when people notice that I’m taking their photo!

3. Sue 01/07/2014 at 10:21 pm #

My father used to own a mens clothing store, so I grew up in mens retail. Unfortunately, the small mens store is pretty much extinct in America. My dad was finally forced to shut his doors in ’84. Perhaps he should have moved to Vienna!

• Kristin Francis 01/07/2014 at 10:28 pm #

That’s really interesting about your dad’s store. So sad too! The New York Times article I linked to at the beginning was helpful in understanding why the Viennese shops survived– less influenced by cheap competition. The shops are expensive but I think people buy less there and keep it forever.

4. travelecstasy 01/08/2014 at 12:57 am #

think i need to hop across to vienna then to fill my wardrobe!

5. boomerontario 02/22/2014 at 10:19 pm #

Vienna is one of my favorites cities, but I bought the hat, not my husband!

6. Ross 03/06/2014 at 6:31 am #

I have been in Vienna a few times but never noticed the stylish hats. I must be more observant the next time

7. Anonymous 05/06/2014 at 8:55 pm #

You should definitely check out Philippe Perzi Vienna at Spiegelgasse 25. They have the most beautiful range of men’s shirts, ties and other menswear. Seriously, have never seen anything like it. It’s a hidden gem in the city. I go visit them every time I am in Vienna.

• Kristin Francis 05/07/2014 at 11:24 am #

Thanks for the tip! Will check it out for sure.

8. Anonymous 05/19/2014 at 2:57 am #