If you think that Irish woolens are all about natural hues like the classic Aran fisherman’s sweater, then you haven’t been to Avoca.

souvenir shopping Dublin Avoca baby wraps

Soft baby blankets, 45 euros.

Like an Anthropologie on steroids, Avoca has fabulous homespun designs in a slew of irresistible candy colors– except you won’t find anything made in China here. Avoca is one of the world’s oldest surviving manufacturing companies (and the oldest in Ireland), with a mill that dates back to 1723, and incredibly, is still family owned and run.

Bringing the memory of your past home with you

Fellow writer Mariellen of the inspiring adventure travel blog BreatheDreamGo.com had some luck shopping at Avoca– she bought a stunning orange and pink shawl.  Like many before her, Mariellen came to Ireland “to follow the goosebump trail” to her ancestral home in Ireland.

BWv9L-kCUAEHjMII love this image of Mariellen wrapped in her shawl, made by a mill with a 300 year legacy, while reconnecting to her past by standing in the footsteps of her ancestors who left Ireland’s Port of Cobh in 1800, knowing they would never see their country or kin again.

Read all about Mariellen’s emotional journey in these two beautifully written and moving posts, part one here and part two here. Warning– you may shed a tear by the end!

Shopping at one of the world’s oldest mills, Avoca

Even those without ancestral ties to Ireland can still appreciate a business that has managed to thrive for three centuries without slipping into corporate hands.  Supporting Avoca is easy– their woolens and other goods are based on traditional patterns but designed for modern times– and are completely irresistible.  What didn’t I want to buy?

souvenir shopping Dublin Avoca wool socks

souvenir shopping Dublin Avoca wool sheep

souvenir shopping Dublin Avoca wool sc

Scarves, 30 euros.

souvenir shopping Dublin Avoca wool throws

lambswool throws, 50 euros.

souvenir shopping Dublin Avoca soap

soaps, 5 euros.

souvenir shopping Dublin Avoca pom pom hats

pom pom hats, 30 euros.

I came out of Avoca with lots of gifts for friends and some cute knee-high socks for me.  Perfect to wear with wellies and a bargain at 13 euros.

Be sure to check out the delicious cafe upstairs featuring all local dishes– I can recommend the Castletownbere crab salad.

Have you been shopping at Avoca or shopping in Dublin?  Share your favorites in the comments below!

Thanks to Mariellen of BreatheDreamGo for sharing her photo and story.

Dublin Souvenir Shopping Details:
Avoca
11-13 Suffolk Street, Dublin (conveniently located right next to the tourist center)

You might want to check out these other Dublin shopping posts:
Shopping Irish Supermarkets for fun Souvenirs: What to bring back
Hit the Park, Shop for Knits, Get a Drink– the perfect Dublin Itinerary
Shopping Dublin, Ireland:  Sheridans Cheesemonger for the best in local Irish cheese
Shopping Dublin: Refined Irish design all wrapped up at Bow
Where to shop in Dublin for great dresses and jewelry by Irish indie and vintage designers

16 Responses to Shopping Avoca in Dublin– Candy-colored woolens from one of the world’s oldest mills

1. Tripping Blonde 10/27/2013 at 10:50 pm #

Wow, so pretty! I can’t wait to stop by this shop on my next visit to Dublin.

• Kristin 10/27/2013 at 11:33 pm #

Thanks for stopping by, Tripping Blonde– I think you’d love their hat selection– lots of pom poms!

2. lmjapan 10/28/2013 at 12:35 am #

I love that little sheep bag, it’s beyond adorable. So glad to hear that it’s not Made in China. America needs to wake up and start making their own products again. I am willing to pay double, even triple for something quality made in this country rather than some crap from China!

• Kristin 10/28/2013 at 12:51 am #

Thanks for your comments! I know, the sheep bag was even cuter in person, I should have brought it home! Ugh that’s the problem with a shopping blog, I want to buy everything! I hear you on all the China junk sold in the USA (even expensive designer stuff)– completely depressing.

3. The Travelling Chopsticks 10/28/2013 at 6:53 am #

I have never been to Ireland but it is on my list 🙂 Love the scarves and what a great way to remember a trip as well as truly giving back to a country! I fell in love with that turquoise and pink scarf – think I may have to do a bit of online shopping 🙂

• Kristin 10/28/2013 at 2:44 pm #

Thanks for your comments! Yes the scarves are as beautiful as they look! I still love the one I brought home from my prior Dublin trip 3 years ago. They have a lot more stuff in the shop than online but their online site is pretty well organized too.

4. lornagannon 10/29/2013 at 1:35 pm #

Great to see this appreciation of the Avoca brand. If you are visiting Ireland Avoca have a lot of great restaurants and stewardship of one of Ireland’s most romantic gardens – Mount Usher Gardens, really worth a visit.

• Kristin 10/30/2013 at 9:05 am #

Thanks for your comment and tip about the gardens. Sounds wonderful, on my list for the next trip.

5. Ronan 10/30/2013 at 9:47 am #

I live a stones throw away from the original shop in the picturesque village of Avoca in Co. Wicklow. 🙂

• Kristin 10/30/2013 at 10:35 am #

Thanks for your comment! I had really wanted to go to Wicklow on this last trip– it seemed like an easy jaunt from Dublin and an adorable village but sadly no time! Lucky you to live in such a charming place!

6. Dana 11/01/2013 at 12:06 pm #

love the scarves!!!!

• Kristin 11/01/2013 at 3:59 pm #

Thanks for your comment! They are super nice.

7. Tiffany 07/20/2014 at 4:07 pm #

I know this thread is frm last year, but I just wanted to chime in and say that I agree with you 100% about the quality of the goods in Avoca. I recently traveled to Dublin for a conference and stumbled into this gem of a store. I’ve had two delicious meals there (the seafood sampler is EXCELLENT) and they have textiles in rich colors that I haven’t seen in any other stores. I also talked to locals who confirmed that Avoca is outstanding. I’ve been traveling around the country but am headed back to Dublin to fly out soon. You can best believe that I’ll be picking up souvenirs for myself–I mean family–at Avoca.

• Kristin Francis 07/20/2014 at 5:13 pm #

Hi Tiffany, thanks so much for leaving your comments– always love it when readers agree with me! : )
      That cafe is ridiculous– I could have eaten all my meals there! I love all my woolens I’ve bought at Avoca, and it’s just an all-around fun shopping experience. If you’re going to be back in Dublin, check out Cleo’s too (I have another post about them). Not nearly as big and colorful as Avoca, but they also have only local designers, and they were fun to look through too- I love my tartan messenger bag from there.

• Tiffany 07/22/2014 at 12:30 am #

I definitely did some damage at Avoca! LOL Cleo..well, they had some nice things, but the person minding the shop was not very welcoming. (I don’t think this person was the owner.) Oh well, perhaps I’ll give them another go when I return to Dublin.

8. Alice Pledge Nelson 11/19/2016 at 1:42 pm #

Please tell me the sheep magnets are still available.